Tuesday 14 August 2007

That Book...

Today we made a trip to the Petawawa Public Library. Connor had asked to go on the weekend, but we never had a chance. If Connor wants to go to the library, it means he has a specific topic in mind, or a particular book he would like to read again. In this case, it was a specific book. The only problem was, he couldn't remember the book title or even what it was about. How he knew he wanted to read this nameless book again is beyond me. All he knew was that he wanted that book. You know, that book. No, I didn't know that book, but anyway, off we went to the library, searching for a nameless book on an unknown topic. Once we got to the library, he remembered what physical area of the library the book came from (how he can remember that but not the subject is beyond me, but never mind). Turns out, the book was one Daddy had found for him, in the nonfiction section of the library. Surprisingly, it's not that easy to find a nameless, subject less book in the nonfiction section. Shocking, I know. Was it about quilting? That got me a very strange look. How about cooking? Not so much. Taxes? Pleeasse. Connor obviously did not share my amusement of the situation. As we looked at the various subjects in the nonfiction section, Connor remembered it was soft covered. Lots of those in the nonfiction section. And it was green. Turns out there are lots of green soft covered books, particularly in the gardening section. I got another dirty look for that one. By this point in time, I was starting to lose my sense of humour. He was adamant he had to have that book, even though he didn't even know what the bloody book was about. It was time to get serious, so I went through the list of Connor's favourite topics. Prehistoric mammals. No. Dinosaurs. No. The Loch Ness Monster. No. Big foot. Bingo. The light went on. It was about monsters like Big Foot, and it happened in North America. Off we went to the computer, and low and behold, there it was, Monsters of North America. Imagine. We actually managed to find out the topic, and the name. Not only did we find it, but it was in. Just as I wrote down the call number, Connor remembered exactly what wall Daddy had found it on (bizarre). Sure enough, there it was. The nameless, subject less book, had unbelievably been found. The day was saved. Although, I've got to say, I kind of wish we hadn't found it. He's been talking about it incessantly, all afternoon. Did you know there's been monster sightings in Nova Scotia? Yes, actually, I had. In fact, I believe three monsters were spotted in Coldbrook last week. If only they'd hadn't followed me home to Petawawa.


"I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift should be curiosity."~~Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: