Monday 8 September 2008

What If I Get A Stitch?


To say Katherine is a bit of a Drama Queen would be an understatement. She constantly overreacts to everything! I know I've said it before, but I'm not sure where she gets this from. Certainly not from me. I would never over react to anything ever. Nope, not me, no way, no how. Just ask Dan how calm and cool I was tonight when I lost my Shoppers Optimum card. I really was quite impressed by how well I handled it all. But anyway... So the kids brought home their first newsletter of the year today. Dan and I were discussing it as Katherine was doing her homework. They have a Terry Fox Run on Sept 26, and Dan mentioned to Katherine how he thought this was great that they were all going to participate. Of course, Katty being Katty had to disagree with him. Quite vehemently in fact. "I HATE the Terry Fox Run". Of course, Dan and I were appalled at this and asked her why. "Because we have to run." Well, duh, they don't call it the Terry Fox RUN for nothing. "What if I get a stitch?" Oh my. Dan than proceeded to tell her all about who Terry Fox is, and that we have a run each year to raise money for cancer research. "I know who Terry Fox is Daddy, I learned about him in Kindergarten." So sorry to bore you darling. We then proceeded to discuss with her the people in her family who have had cancer or died from it. Poppa's Mommy, Grumpy's Daddy, Gramma's brother and Gramma's Mommy, Nanny Doris may have cancer too. "Cancer is not very nice." Stupid dumb cancer! Indeed. "Fine I'll do the run, but I won't be very happy if I get a stitch!" That's our Katty. A little hypochondriac in the making. Her and Howard Hughes would get along great. Her most important school supply? Purell Hand Sanitizer for her desk! And I DO know where she gets the hypochondria trait from. Little Miss What If. She's so much like her Nana, Dan and I both call her Maureen on a regular basis! Oh, she loves that! The looks she gives us could freaking bend metal! She still won't ride her two wheeler for God's sake. She knows how to ride it, but "what if I fall and scratch my knees?" I've never seen anyone worry about her health so much as her (besides Nana that is!). What's that white mark on my cheek? What is that bump from? I have a scratch! I have a bruise! Seriously, I have no idea what we are going to do with her! And she's decided she wants to take gymnastics. She starts next week. That will last about as long as it takes her to fall off the balance beam the first time. What if I break my leg falling off of the balance beam? Thank God they have a refund policy. I have a feeling we'll be asking for one before the month is out.

"Imaginary pains are by far the most real we suffer, since we feel a constant need for them and invent them because there is no way of doing without them."~~E.M. Cioran

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor, poor Kattie!! She sounds like the little red hen who cried "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

Anonymous said...

I'ts ok Katty ...we hypocondriacs don't have it easy!! What if we worry about stuff every day and it never happens??? Huh you guys????

Love

Nana