Saturday 9 June 2007

Mowing the Lawn...

You know there is something wrong when the highlight of your Saturday is mowing the lawn. Seriously, I kid you not, it was the highlight of my day! How sad is that? I should probably point out, it was the first time I had to mow this year. Our lawn can only be described as pathetic, a fact we were sadly unaware of when we purchased the house. At the time, the lawn was covered in a few feet of snow, so we couldn't see the lawn. Needless to say, we were unpleasantly surprised last summer when we got here, and the lawn was a disaster. Our lawn is the worst on the street. All of the others are nice and green and lush, ours, not so lush really. More patchy, and well, brown. As I'm getting ready to go away, it will be woefully neglected again for most of this summer. It took a week of steady rain, but the weeds and clover actually grew enough a mowing was in order. I must say, I was apprehensive I would not get the mower started. Seems my beloved husband abandoned the poor thing in the fall, and it was still full of last years gas, and oil; a fact that made my father in law audibly cringe when I told him. Too give our mower credit, it's a tough little thing. After a few pumps of the primer, she started up with just a little puff of black smoke. My neighbour across the street was amazed. Evidently, he didn't think I'd get it started. Really. Well, I showed him. Not only did I start it, but I mowed the entire lawn, dirty gas and all. I even took out some plastic animals along the way. Obviously, my neighbour felt guilty because his lawn was far more in need of a mowing then ours. I wasn't in the house 5 minutes, and I heard him out trying to start his mower. It took him a good 10-15 minutes. I was on my way out to offer to start it for him, when he finally got it going. Next time, I'll show him how it's done.


“A good wife is one who can mow the lawn in the summer and put up the storm windows in the winter.”~~W.C Fields

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WE are womon we are strong.....You're neighbour must have been feeling rather sheepish after your fine diplay of mechanic ability!!

Anonymous said...

Not long now my friend! Three weeks today you will be here helping me get tea ready or we could still be celebrating Canada Day! Keep your chin up. Told Martyn that we were going to the cinema while you were here and he asked what to see? I told him - it didn't matter, we were going regardless of what was on!

Anonymous said...

Proud of you, daughter; you make me look pathetic. Of course, with a new lawn mower (still in the box) it should be easier.

My lawn tractor does start nicely but the grass and weeds need to be mown AGAIN!!