Wednesday 16 January 2008

Running In The Snow...

Running in a snowstorm is a bad idea. I know it, and you know it, but unfortunately, my beloved husband is not as wise as you and I. Shocking isn't it? You wouldn't think it would take a rocket scientist to figure this out. In fact it didn't. As soon as Dan told me he was going out for a run in a snowstorm, I told him he was an idiot. In fact, I may have even used the word stupid, I can't be sure. But what do I know? I'm hardly a rocket scientist, after all. I even suggested he might consider going to the gym for a run. This suggestion was met with an eye roll (so that's were Katty gets it from) and the assurance that he would be careful. As soon as he said that, I knew this run would not end well, there was no way Mr Oops could go for a run in a snowstorm without disaster befalling him some how. Low and behold, who do you suppose came limping into the house 30 minutes later. Yes, that's right, Mr Careful. Seems running in a snowstorm is not such a good idea after all. No shit Sherlock. Oh the irony of it all. The same man who came home from work, laughing because one of the other BC's had smashed his car into his Sergeant Major's car that morning. It seems there was a sheet of ice under the snow and it was treacherous out. Great day to go for a run outside. The rest of my day was spent fetching frozen corn and ibuprofen, and researching sprains and ankle breaks online. Seems Dan heard a cracking noise when he twisted his ankle. That can't be good, and most likely accounts for the bruising and swelling in his foot. I knew it must have been hurting a lot, because he decided to go to the MIR (medical clinic) to have it checked out. Of course, this couldn't have happened at a worse time, not that there is ever a good time to have a broken ankle really. He's going on a camping trip with his brother this weekend (now there's a blog for you) and is in the field on exercise all next week, and is off to Texas next month for 6 weeks. Fortunately for him, it's only a bad sprain. He is on light duties for the rest of the week, and they gave him a brace for it. A really nice brace, apparently, as he's showed it to me 5 times already. It's lovely dear, really. After he went to the MIR, he had an O group (a fancy way of saying meeting) with the CO. It seems last week, the CO warned all of the officers to be careful when they were out running or driving. Imagine how pleased he was when he discovered one of the Majors had had a car accident, and another one had had a running accident. Our friend Stu is the unit Safety officer, and he made Dan tell all of the other officers what I had told him before he went for his run, "She said I was stupid." I'm sure you can guess how happy Dan was when the CO replied, "She's right, you are stupid." Ya think? Occasionally, not very often mind you, but every once and a while, I do know what I'm talking about. It's called Common Sense. Like I said, it ain't rocket science, but it might as well be.

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward."~~Bill Davidsen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dan!!! When are you going to start listening to your wife!!!! Now she'll be able to hold it over your head FOREVER!!!!! DUH!!

That is a very funny tale, Monica!!