Tuesday 1 January 2008

Happy New Year...



Finally, 2007 is over. I have never been so happy to see the ass end of a year, as I am this one. It definitely was a long stressful year, and hopefully we won't have another one like it anytime soon. When I look back over the last year, it is of course, tainted by Afghanistan. How could it not be? It consumed our lives for a long time. It wasn't all bad however, there were some good times. The highlight of the year was Dan's safe return from Afghanistan (obviously) at the end of August. After 7 months of constant worry and stress, it was wonderful to have him home safe and sound. It seemed so strange to have him here, and not to have to worry anymore. Worrying definitely becomes a habit, but it was one bad habit that I was very happy to break. The second highlight of the year was our trip to the United Kingdom in the summer. I had always wanted to go to England, so it was the trip of a lifetime. Everything I'd imagined, and then some. We had such a wonderful vacation, it was definitely an amazing trip! We had a fantastic time and all want to go back, now!! 2007 also saw us reunited with our friends the Armstrong's. We hadn't seen them for 5 years, but it was like we'd never been a part. Of course, I'm still so jealous that Dan got to see Emma and Martyn again in October, but never mind, I'll get over it, eventually. In September, we finally got our hardwood floors put in. And yes, this would be a big highlight of my year. I was delighted to rip up that blasted carpet. We also had a wonderful weekend away in Vermont, without the kids. Looking back, there were definitely some good times in 2007, but I'm still glad it is over. Lets hope 2008 has many more good times, but with far less worry. I could use a longer break from the worry. Dan's not going to Afghanistan this year, so I'm thinking, it's already shaping up to be a great year.

"For last year's words belong to last year's language, And next year's words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning."~~T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

No comments: