Monday 28 May 2007

Advancement Night...


It was a big night for the Bobbitt girls. Tonight was Advancement Night for Guides. Katherine is finished her two years as a Spark, and Elizabeth is finished her two years as a Brownie. Katty is quite keen to move up to Brownies next year. The same can not be said of her sister. Elizabeth has absolutely no interest in becoming a Guide next year. Or as she told me, "I am done with this Girl Guides business." Well, alright then. So you can imagine how happy she was when I informed her she would be taking part in the advancement. That went over like the proverbial lead balloon. I figured if we all had to be there for Katty's ceremony anyway, Libby might as well throw on her Brownie uniform and take part, in case she changes her mind. Not likely, I know. Of course, I was about as keen to go as Elizabeth. I had a rotten day, it was one of those days were I didn't get anything done that I wanted to, but was constantly running all day. The poor kids had barely finished eating their supper and I was dragging them out the door for the advancement. Given the size of the Guide District, I thought this would be a three hour affair, but surprisingly, we were gone less than an hour. Katherine was very proud of herself, she was one of only four Sparks moving up to Brownies. And Elizabeth did advance to Guides, and the smile on her face was genuine. Apparently, it wasn't as bad as she'd imagined it would be. She told me after wards she was glad she'd come, "You didn't tell me they were giving us flowers, or that there would be cake." Who knew? As we got home she informed me that even though she'd had fun, she was still not going to Guides next year, she is not going to change her mind. That's her final decision. Until September, anyway.




"I promise to do my best. To be true to myself, my God, and Canada; I will help other people and keep the Brownie Law."~~Brownie Promise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of Katherine for advancing to Brownies and it good that Elizabeth took he own part in the advancment ceremonies; it's a longgggg time until September,( for kids anyway) and she may well change her mind.