Thursday 31 May 2007

Tornado Warning...

One thing I'll say for Petawawa, it has some pretty interesting storms. Last night we had some wicked thunderstorms while I was out at the Regimental Gathering. We were at the Yacht Club down on the Ottawa River, and there were times the lightning was actually green. And of course, we got completely soaked running to the car. The weather today was much the same as yesterday, hot and muggy (not that I'm complaining, though, Mom). The perfect conditions for more thunder storms. So, we had another Severe Thunderstorm Warning tonight, only this time there was also a tornado warning. Before the rain started pouring down, I went outside to put the umbrella down so it wouldn't knock the table over. While I was doing that, the kids decided that they would enjoy the show. When I cam back in, all three of them were bellied up to the dining room window. They had three chairs lined up under it, and even had snacks and drinks. You'd think they were at the movies or something. By this point in time, the sky was completely black, and the wind was whipping the trees across the street. I had the devils own time convincing them to go to the basement until it was over. They weren't happy about it, as they would not be able to see the funnel cloud. Well, duh! I'm thinking that seeing a funnel cloud that close is not such a good idea, but hey, that's just me. Luckily, there was no funnel cloud, just a lot of wind, rain, thunder and lightning. The kids were must disappointed when it was over, "Is that it?" Obviously it was anti climatic for them, like a disappointing fireworks display. It's going to be hot and muggy again tomorrow, so I'm sure they'll get to see it all over again tomorrow night. Better luck next time.


"Any proverbs about weather are doubly true during a storm."~~Ed Northstrum

No comments: