Wednesday 30 May 2007

Regimental Gathering..

Tonight there was a Gathering for all of the Officers/Senior NCOs from Dan's unit. They had contacted me several times during the planning of it, to make sure I could go, which I thought was really nice. They even had really nice invitations printed for all of the spouses whose husbands were deployed, and had them hand delivered. I went with my friends Charlotte and Ingrid. We figured we'd be Nobby No Mates together. I was quite keen to go, and have a night out with other adults. It's funny though, Ingrid and I were there for about five minutes, and realized we actually felt worse. There is nothing lonelier than going to a mixed function at the Unit without your spouse. It's just not the same, especially when your spouse is Dan, and he is normally the life of the party. I'm sure had he been there, it would have been a much louder and more boisterous affair. Everyone was really sweet, asking me how I was and how Dan was. And than the CO made a speech. All I can say is, he's an interesting little man, but never mind. He had lots of good things to say about Dan and the Battery, which was very nice. And he has decided now he likes the Dragon nickname given to the Battery, two weeks ago he hated it. I've got to say though, the highlight of my night was my discovery of Woody's Grapefruit. Who knew such a thing existed or that I would like it so much. But as Charlotte pointed out, it's really not that surprising as it is a British drink, and I do tend to be a bit of an Anglophile. That was the first drink I've had since Dan left (except for the shot of Bailey's I had when Connor brought home his last report card), and after two Woody's I was a bit mellow. I almost didn't have the second one, but was glad I did when I got home and discovered we'd lost another soldier today, this time in the helicopter crash. I will be so glad when September comes and this is all over.

“I've got everything I need except a man. And I'm not one of those women who thinks a man is the answer to everything, but I'm tired of being alone.”~~Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A BIT of an anglophile???

That's the first time I've ever heard it referred to it as a bit.lol