Sunday 4 February 2007

One down....


Today we reached our first milestone of this deployment, the first week is over. I hope the saying that the first week is the hardest holds true, although I know this is probably not the case. We actually managed to sleep in until 6:30 am, another milestone these days it seems. The kids had another great day today (I love that Clue game, who knew it would keep them so amused?) Connor painted his kub car, which is actually a tank. Luckily, he had a chance to buile it with Dan before he left last weekend. No surprise that he painted it desert camouflage. The highlight of the day was Daddy's call. He called us from somewhere in the middle of Afghanistan. The kids all got to talk to him, which was awesome. Connor told me he was glad Daddy called, because he never wants to forget what his voice sounds like (and yes this made me cry, how could it not?) Dan told them a bit about the different things he's seen, mostly the different wildlife. No snakes so far (snakes and bombs, my biggest fears, not necessarily in that order), but lots of ugly camels. It was a brief conversation unfortunately as the battery in his phone was dying. He has adjusted to the time change finally, and the handover is going well. Best of all he is having fun. He is doing his dream job, and knowing that makes a world of difference. I did however point out to him, that the amount of fun he was having was directly proportional to the amount of fun I was NOT having. He found this highly amusing! It was great to talk to him, and tonight we can all sleep a little better knowing he is safe and sound.

"I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can play together all night." ~Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes~

1 comment:

Mary said...

Monnie, it has been fun to read your diary (and funny). I remember going to building supply stores with the boys when they were the age of yours. They were wild and disorderly. One night Al was away somewhere and the dog had consumed vast amounts of peameal gravel (I'm not joking). The children were 8 and 3 and we spent what seemed like hours at the vet as they ran around, climbed over bags of dog food ands tried on leashes and collars. The dog had vomited all over the house earlier that day and the doctor informed me he would have to have emergency surgery. We laugh now but I'm not so sure I felt it was all so funny at the time!!

I have shared some of your stories with friends at work. Few of us actually know someone who is in active duty in Afghanistan. Hearing about Dan's experience makes our role there see so much more real.

I am just now reading the Kite Runner, which is odd timing. Such a sad history in that region of the world. We all now feel a little closer to understanding the role Canada plays in its stabilization.

Send Dan our love and kiss the kids. We love the pictures and stories and wish, for you, that the weeks will flip by quickly. XX