Saturday 17 February 2007

With A Little Help From My Friends....

Well today has probably gone by quicker then any of the other days since Dan left. The kids had swimming this morning, and then we were off to Connor's Cub car rally. The girls and I stayed for a bit, and then came home. Dan called this afternoon, it was a nice treat to get to talk to him twice in one week. The only down side is that he is no longer bored, meaning he is out and about. We all miss him so much, and I so wish it were August! After I talked to him, it was off to say goodbye to our friend Wade, who deploys early tomorrow morning. I felt so bad for my friend Charlotte, the day before is so hard, and its her first deployment. There really is nothing one can do to prepare for it. I can only describe it as surreal really, to send ones husband and friends off to war. I still can't believe Dan has been gone 3 weeks already. The time has gone fast, but then at other times it seems to drag on. So after some more goodbyes, (it seems life in Petawawa is a constant circle of hello and goodbyes), we picked Connor up from the rally. He didn't win any races, but he came home with 2 plaques, 2nd in Original design, and show favourite, meaning his car was voted the favourite by all the other cubs and leaders. Too say he was chuffed would be an understatement, especially as he built the car with Daddy before he left.

We spent the rest of the day with our friends Stu and Arlene, and their kids, and of course, Jen and her 2 boys. It was such a nice afternoon, just to sit in my own house with another adult is a treat in and of itself, but to have 3 adults was heaven. Stu was our token husband, and Jen and I took out 3 weeks worth of frustration and nagging on him. He didn't mind though, anything for the team. Besides, it was a great chance for him to catch up on the gossip (he is such a woman), though I suspect Dan and Derek each owe him a beer now. Time sure flies when you are having fun!! It was after 10 pm before they all went home. And in the middle of it all, I got several phone calls from various friends, and another beautiful flower arrangement from my hubby, who really has been so very sweet to me this month (he's racking up the suck up points, I might add.) There were also several e-mails waiting for me when I came down tonight, from all of our great friends who were so sweet to remember me today. You know, even after all of these years, it still never ceases to amaze me just how great our military family is, because that is what it is like, being part of one big extended family, who are always there for you, in good times and in bad. Whether they are near or far, they reach out to you, and extend a hand. We can not see each other for 5 years, and then pick up where we left off like it was only yesterday. How wonderful is the gift of friendship, it is one of the most wonderful gifts we could ever receive.


"Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer."~~ Ed Cunningham.

No comments: