Monday 26 February 2007

Spring is In the Air.......

Spring will be here soon. I know this, not because the snow is melting, or the Canada geese are coming back, not because there were Robin's on the lawn, or croci pushing their fragile buds up out of the frozen ground, The first sign of spring was a big red billboard announcing the beginning of Roll Up the Rim at Tim Horton's. Every winter, as the sun begins to warm the earth, and the smell of dirty melting snow fills the air, Tim Horton's marks this changing of seasons with their annual Roll Up the Rim campaign, a holy festival celebrating the most revered of all the saints, Saint Timothy of Cappuccino. If there is one thing that I look forward to every morning (besides the kids getting on the bus), it is my double double from Timmie's. Just one a day, that's usually all I need, but how I savour that one cup of coffee. And if something interferes with me getting that coffee, look out, because I will get ugly. Now, I know I could brew it myself at home, but it's jut not the same. Besides, what is more lonely then me, alone with a large pot of coffee. It is a rare occasion when I will have 2. Although I did have 2 yesterday, but that was different. It was the beginning of the holy festival after all, and my friend showed up with one. It would have been rude of me not to drink it. Um, and I did have 2 when Annette and Mike were up, and 2 on my birthday. OK, so its not that rare for me to have 2, but never more then that. I would never sleep, not to mention never come down off of the ceiling. Tim Horton's is my deployment support centre, and I will need all of the support I can get in the coming months. Because spring in Canada, means spring in Afghanistan, and that is not a good thing. Spring in Afghanistan means things will start ramping up, and my nerves will be shot. Today, as I celebrate the coming of spring here, Dan was getting ready to go out. He called before he left. I'm not sure where he was going, or what he was doing. I am sure I don't want to know. He doesn't know how long he is going to be out for, and I don't know when I will get to talk to him again. I really wish it would stay winter in Afghanistan for the next 6 months, but that's not going to happen. Which means, the hotter and busier it gets there, the more coffee I'm going to be drinking here. I really wish our ceilings weren't stuccoed, they are going to be a bitch on my knees.

"Behind every successful woman is a substantial amount of coffee."~~Stephanie Piro

2 comments:

Gerry said...

I won a coffee today!!! Didnt want no stinkin; car or IPOD anyway...

Monica said...

Cars, ipods, it's all aobut the coffee, Gerry Boyle. And I actually won a free one yesterday too, it was on the one my friend brought me. Sweet, glorious coffeee, 11 hours and I will be drinking another!!