Wednesday 11 April 2007

And Another Sad Day....

For the second time this week, we got the sad news that we had lost two more soldiers. And for the second time this week, my heart stopped. Dan is fine, still out in the dessert somewhere, and I so can't wait to hear the reassuring sound of his voice. The news this time hit closer to home, as both of the soldiers were based here, but not from Dan's unit. Two more families are in mourning tonight. Tomorrow, the news will spread around town, and all the "Welcome Home Troops" signs will be replaced by, "We will never forget." And Petawawa, like Gagetown will begin to grieve.

Thank God for friends, especially Arlene, who is there for me, anytime anything happens. I don't know what I'd do without her (and Stu too). She was there for me once again today, calling me several times, and stopping by tonight. I know it eases Dan's mind to know they are here if I need them. Once again, I had to break the news to the kids, and once again, I saw the fear in their eyes. I quickly reassured them that Daddy was okay, but I can tell they are scared. I wish I didn't have to tell them, but I know that if I don't tell them, they will hear it from someone else. A mother's natural instinct, to shield her children from pain, but some things can't be hidden. Ironically, we had just got a parcel from Dan this afternoon. The kids were thrilled, though I was less then thrilled with the framed giant ass black spider that Dan sent Connor. Dead, I might add. Dan also sent Connor a mushroom hat, though the name of it escapes me. Connor walked around saying, "Crikey look at the turban on that Taliban", once again. He might also have been saying "Durhka, Durhka." I can't be sure. Daddy sent the girls each a beautiful beaded purse with matching scarves, which they both love. Although, they were not pleased with Connor's insistence they where them like burkhas. We spent a lot of time after that, talking about the culture of Afghanistan, with the aid of a singing camel that sings some kind of traditional Afghani song. It is hard to understand, as it is a camel after all, and they are not known for their singing abilities. The kids amaze me so much, I am so proud of them, and I know Dan is too. They accept why he is there, to help the people and the children especially. And while I know they would rather Daddy be at home, they also know it is important the soldiers remain. In fact, Libby said, " I wish all of the soldiers could come home, but if they leave before all of the Taliban are gone, then the Taliban would come back and hurt the women and children. And so the soldiers have to stay. The people of Afghanistan need our help, and that is what soldiers do, they help people. I'm proud my daddy is a solider to help people." How come a nine year old can get it, but some adults can't??

"Often, the only way to comfort the suffering is to understand that you can't understand and just be there."~~Unknown

2 comments:

The Pederson girls said...

Once again we are so glad Dan is safe...we will keep praying for his safety and all of the others there...we'll pray for the families who are suffering too. Keep your chin up!

Anonymous said...

Just think, Monica, Canada has never fought a war of aggression as other nations do but our men and women have always fought to give people better lives and clean up the messes other countries leave behind..

Thank GOD for men like Dan and his gunners who are willing to do so once again.......as well Dad and I will keep our prayers going upwords for their safe return.