Thursday 19 April 2007

A Day Pass...

You won't believe what I did today. I went to Ottawa! Yep, that's right, I got me a day pass and Arlene sprung me, and off we went! Yes we did. We got on the highway, and we drove like the hounds of hell were on our ass. Actually, I think it was Stu chasing after us, yelling, "Come back, don't leave me with all of these children." Poor Stu, he really is a good man. Not only did he watch our kids until the bus came, the crazy man even volunteered to pick them all up at the bus stop after school, so Arlene and I could shop longer. He really is a glutton for punishment, bless him. We went to not one, but two, count them two, real malls. I kid you not. With real stores!! And there was a selection of things to choose from. Imagine it!! I even bought new shoes. Trendy even. Let me tell you, there is no where here to buy trendy shoes, so this was a big deal. Actually, come to think of it, I've never owned a pair of trendy shoes before. Except for my wooden clogs when I was a kid. Remember when those were trendy?? Sadly, however, I think the biggest excitement of the day was our trip to the Superstore on the way home. Whoever would think a trip to the grocery store would make one giddy, but it is so true. You know you're a housewife when you are zipping up and down the aisles because you are so overwhelmed with all of the selection. That's right, the word of the day is, selection. And we got to buy real produce, not the kind that looks like its been engineered in a lab somewhere. How sweet is that? I must say, the shopping is definitely one of the things I miss most about Ottawa.

The only damper on our trip came when I had a run in with an employee at the jewellery store. No worries, I wasn't buying (Dan will be doing that, won't you honey??) I was having my ring cleaned. When the girl cleaning my ring realized I was from Petawawa, she started. I have a yellow ribbon pin on my jacket, which highly offended her. She couldn't believe I supported, "That war." And when I said actually my husband was gone fighting that war, she was all over me. "You make your husband go to the war for the money." Um, no, actually, I don't make my husband go to the war, he's a soldier, and he goes where they tell him to go. "Well, the soldiers they only go for the danger pay." Um, no, that's not true, they go because that's their job, they go where they are told to go, and actually, they believe in the mission. Oh, and it's a volunteer army, no one actually makes them become soldiers. "How can you possibly believe in that war?" Um, because its a UN sanctioned, NATO lead mission, and the government of Afghanistan asked us to be there, and because we are helping the citizens of Afghanistan, as well as ridding the world of terrorists. "Well, aren't you worried he's gonna be changed when he comes home?" Um, duh, of course I'm concerned about the impact it will have, on not only him, but all of us. By this point in time, I'm trying to grab my damn ring out of her hand, so I can put it back on and then wallop her with it. I managed to restrain myself, dammit. I so wanted to punch her. Really, I did. I managed to get the last word (shocking I know) in though. I believe in the mission in Afghanistan, I support my husband and I am very proud he is a soldier. I think that as an immigrant to Canada, you might want to be a little thankful to the soldiers who defend it, and your right to open your mouth. Not sure she heard the "bitch" bit I muttered at the end. Too bad, that. As Katty would say, she was a stupid dumb woman. Urgh, I was so mad. Yes, I probably should have walked a way, but there is way too much of my mother in me (scary thought) to let it go. Afterwards, I thought of so many things I should have said. Because it was the first time I'd ever experienced first hand any hostility towards the military, I was caught off guard. That's one thing about living in Petawawa, whether or not people question the mission, which I highly doubt would be the case here, everyone supports the soldiers and their families. It is a very protective, comforting atmosphere. And I am very thankful for that. I might not be in such a hurry to get that next day pass, after all. Unless there is shopping afoot. Then I might have to reconsider.


"Ignoranus: A person who's both stupid and an asshole."~~Author unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's my girl! Bet I could find a few unkind words for that "disgusting immigrant" And I would have made sure that she would have heard me call her BITCH and a few other choice words. Then I would have taken my complaint to her supervisor.

I wonder if she was from a country that our soldiers had rescued from a dictatorship. She certainly wouldn't have despised them then, would she? Maybe we could visit the same stoe while I'm visiting??? HMM???