Monday 16 April 2007

The News Junkie...

I am a self professed news junkie. I freely admit it. I check the news first thing every morning (right after I check to see if Dan has e-mailed me), and I check it regularly through out the day. There are many spouses who can't look at the news at all while their husbands are deployed. I am not one of them. I would much rather know, than not know. Sometimes maybe I know too much, but I don't think so. Partway through her husbands tour, a friend of ours decided not to read the news anymore. That day, she went out and some one asked her if she'd heard the 1RCR RSM had been killed. He was in the same convoy as her husband. She read the news every day after that, not wanting to be blindsided again. If you don't read it in the news, someone will tell you about it. The wives net is a powerful (and often scary) thing. I know there are lots of things Dan tries not to tell me, so I won't worry. I usually end up hearing it anyway. The only time this upset me (so far) was when I found out through the net Dan's convoy had been attacked, I'd have rather heard that from him. Last week, I found myself checking the news much more frequently then I normally do. I'm still not sure how that is possible, but, anyway. So, imagine my surprise last night when I came across an article I missed last week. And imagine my surprise again, when I realized my husband had been interviewed in the article. Actually, I'm not surprised he was interviewed and never mentioned it. That's just not his way. He's far too humble for that. Me, not so much. So, here's the link to the article if any of you are interested in reading it. I think it's great to get the soldiers' view on the mission. Um, and Dan, you're damn straight you'd better be paying extra attention.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=7a505118-2fb1-4ccb-bce5-b0baaa126b14&k=0

“We know we’re making a difference over here. That helps. You can see there’s progress being made so you know these guys sacrificed their lives, and that’s a terrible thing, but we are achieving something over here. They didn’t sacrifice themselves in vein for some unjustified war that isn’t going to achieve anything.”~~Maj DR Bobbitt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've all become news junkies, everyone who knows Dan and you.

I find myself checking the TV, radio and computer at any odd time durig the day.

And you know me; I'd rather read than do anything.

Take extra good care of yourself, Dan.