Tuesday 6 March 2007

Boys Will Be Boys....

So, today was report card day in the Bobbitt house. As expected, the girls both brought home excellent report cards, especially Libby, who was actually congratulated on her superlative writing by Madame on her report card. She is doing very well, her comprehension is phenomenal, her math skills great, etc etc... Katty's report card was much the same. I was shocked however, that there was no mention of her penchant for talking. And then there was Connor. Connor, Connor, Connor. A very smart young man, but he's got the ambition of a slug. Seriously, the poor boy is so lazy, I'm not sure he'd move out of the way of a truck if it came at him in the road.. I love that boy to bits, but he's driving me crazy. I think perhaps it would be easier to accept poor grades if he were a stupid child, but far from it. He's quite smart, and he has no problem with the language at all. His problem is just school in general. If he's not interested in it, forget, he won't bother. And disorganized and forgetful. There are times he has 4, count them 4, lunch bags in school! He has absolutely no problem doing the work, if he can actually remember to bring it home. He just does not see the point in showing his work, this is especially true in math. Neatness is not one of his stronger suits, either. His work is barely legible. Poor bugger, he was most upset when he saw his report card, and after lots of tears, yelling, and door slamming, finally sat down to do his math homework and to study for his 2 tests tomorrow. Of course, we went through the litany of excuses, and trying to blame the other kids for distracting him, before he finally fessed up and admitted he'd been slacking off. He is not looking forward to his father finding out. Oddly, though, he was much more scared of Gramma's reaction. Seems he heard Grumpy and I talking about the time Gramma chased me around the house with a hardcover book because I only got 99% on a test. As luck would have it, I have 2 bookshelves full of such books, and Gramma is coming to visit in May. I think he might do okay that month. But for now, as a result of his slacking off, his bed time is 30 minutes earlier, he has to practice cursive writing and verb conjugation everyday, he has a series of math work sheets to do, and he will be rewriting every test he goofed off on over his March break. Sounds like fun, don't it?? I can hardly wait!!

And to think, I used to love Tuesday, they were my favourite day of the week. I should have known this one was going to be crappy when I woke up to the news the spring Offensive had begun in Afghanistan. This would be one of those days where I had 2 cups of coffee. I fear there will be many more of those in the next few months.


“Laziness erodes a person of his enthusiasm and energy. As a result, the person loses all opportunities, and finally becomes dejected and frustrated. The worst thing is that he stops believing in himself."~~Sam Veda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

connor, Connor, CONNOR!!! I'm so disappointed; you're such a smart boy. Maybe we shuld have Uncle Shawn have a talk with you about how he goofed off in school and how he wishes now he had done the work and studied.

OR, Gramma will talk to you about having to go back to school as an adult, TWICE, to improve my grades. It's NOT FUN!!!!!!

Mike said...

Meh, he's fine... nobody counts the early grades anyway. When was the last time an employer asked how you did in grade 7?

Buck up for the last 3 years and you'll do fine. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh my Mike!! nobody but the moms and dads have to endure the early grades,and by the time the last three years arrive, mom and dad are so freaking worn to a nub they don't have the energy to celebrate even a superlative report card!!

Linda said...

Hello cousin,
I know how you must be feeling,I think it must be a boy thing, I can recall the number of times that I had spent with Darren and Johnathan sitting at the table trying to get them to do their homework. The I came to the conclusion it was really all up to them, whether they did their homework or not. I know I wasnt the one getting marked for homework or assignments being passed in. Then again they were a few years older than Conner...