Monday 26 March 2007

Frick and Frack....


We woke up this morning to a nasty thunderstorm, the first one this spring. It went on for hours. Of course, it couldn't start at 7 am, when we would be getting up, no, it had to start a 5 am. Somehow (cough, snoring, cough) Nana actually managed to sleep through it. Funny that. The kids went off to school, and then I sat back with my coffee and watched the spectacle that is Maureen and John packing. For those who've never had the pleasure (or the misfortune really) to witness this, it really is a sight to see. Last year, as they were packing to leave Ottawa after being away from home for months (we won't discuss the length of their visit), Dan actually thought he might have to go out and remind them we had neighbours. To say it was ugly, would be an understatement. Today, as John, gradually managed to drag all of their bags upstairs, I marvelled at how they were able to fit it all in Maureen's small car. I know it has a fairly spacious trunk, but I think the weight capacity of the vehicle might be exceeded. The best part of the whole event, besides watching John fit it all in like some Chinese puzzle, was listening to them snipe at each other. It starts slowly, with a few disgruntled sighs on John's part, and then Maureen gets her back up, and starts to get defensive. At one point in time, I think I even saw someone stick their tongue out, not saying who, of course. As amusing as this morning was, this was just a mere sample of what will happen next week, when they pack all of their possessions to go home to Nova Scotia. And yes, there is more, much, much more. I might just have to go out for coffee while that's happening. Finally, it was done and they were on their way. They actually weren't as bad this morning as they have been in the past, but I quickly locked the door, just in case. Maybe a week alone won't be so bad after all.

After the in laws left, I went out for coffee with my friend Joanne. Her husband just got home a few weeks ago. He was doing the same job as Dan is now. Hard to believe his 7 months are up, and that we have started week 9. It always makes me feel better to visit with Jo. She knows exactly what I'm going through, and can empathize completely. We are both looking forward to next year, when most of the guys are home, and things are semi-normal at the Regiment. We might even have social lives again, and get to go to events with our husbands, like real couples. Speaking of my husband, I got an e-mail from him, no news on the deodorant, though. It was just a brief one liner in my capacity as his personal assistant, and I'm okay with that. As long as I hear from him, and he's okay, I will gladly run his errands. Just until he gets home, that is. Then your on your own babyo.

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life."~~Rita Rudner

2 comments:

Gerry said...

I can relate...as I sit here in my room at the Aku Tiki Daytona Beach (Mo - same room the pidgeon flew in and crapped on your pillow) I look around at the fullsome collection of home electronics that surround me. And I left some behind at Pat's suggestion (we'll call it that). But I will suffer thru knowing that Best Buy is not far away should an electronics emergency arise. I do ifnd it funny that everyone here sits, lays, and walks around with something plugged in their ears. Didnt they come here to here the surf roar and the sea birds call? Guess not - Van Halen must be way more soothing than I ever found it. Gotta go - went to the grocery store yesterday but forgot the most important item for me - vinegar. I hate the stuff but it really works to calm down a sunburn as long as you dont mind smelling like a pickle all the time. Price you gotta pay...Take care Mon - hug those kids for Pat & I.

Anonymous said...

No such thing as a normal social life with husbands. You know that at a regimental social they just leave you with the other wives and talk the three S's anyway (shit, shop and sex!). Guess who???