Thursday 29 March 2007

Two Down, Five To Go...


Today we reached another milestone in this deployment. Two months finished. As of this moment, we have completed 27.3396% of this tour. That's 60 days, 1437 hours, 86,202 minutes, and 5,172,103 seconds. But whose counting. Alright, I am. And Dan too. Mike (he's almost a good brother in law) sent me a countdown, so I could keep track better. It also tells me how much time we have left until this tour is over. I'd give you the tally, but it's just too depressing. Dan said yesterday the time was going fast for him, and really it is for me too. I would like to say it is going fast because we are having fun, but that is not the case. More, it is going fast because we are both so busy. Though his busy is vastly different then my busy. And much more dangerous, but we shan't discuss that. Nine weeks almost over, and I have still not accomplished half of what I'd like to get done. It's not like I don't have time to get it done, but I don't have time to get it done, if you know what I mean. Most days, I feel as if I have been swept up with the tide, and can't quite make it too shore. There just seems no end to it, it goes on from the minute the kids get out of bed in the morning, until they get back in at night. Now, mind you, I do have the house to myself all day, for seven glorious, quiet hours, five days a week, but still, I get nothing done. Some days, I seem to spend more time wandering around making lists of the things I have to do, then I actually spend doing them. Of course, I might be like that even when Dan is home, but never mind. It's worse now. Take my walls, for instance. I have looked at the same wall in the stairway beside the computer desk every night while I write this blog, for weeks, and have thought, "I really need to clean that wall." Now, have I actually cleaned that wall? No, I have not. Everything else seems to need to be done first. Therefore, I have made the decision to have someone clean it for me. I mean, seriously, do I not have enough stress in my life as it is? The fact that I need to clean the walls should not be added to my stress load. I know you agree Dan, you're such a good husband. Just think, without the extra pressure of washing walls and windows, I'll be more relaxed, and better able to cope with things.

Speaking of relaxed, Connor has relaxed so much this week, I thought today he had been replaced by a pod. Seriously, he hasn't fought with me once this week. Not once. Hard to believe, I know. I think it's because it's been so nice, and he has been outside everyday after school. And because he has been outside so much, he has barely watched television at all. It's been fantastic. And his good mood has extended to school. He had a math test today, and thank the saints, he got 100%. He was so proud of himself, and so he should be! He even wrote his book report this evening, with hardly a complaint. Now, there were a few grumbles when he had to write the good copy (stupid cursive writing), enough that I knew it really was him, but all in all, he was great. It's just like having our regular Connor back. Today, out of the blue, he walked by and said, "I love you mom." You got to love it when your 11 year old son tells you he loves you. Maybe there's hope after all.

"Time is the longest distance between two places."~~Tennessee Williams

No comments: