Wednesday 14 March 2007

Sunshine and Mud Puddles....

It was a beautiful, warm sunny day again today. The promise of spring is in the air. You can feel it in the sun as it kisses your cheek. There is only one problem with spring, its the mess it brings with it. I know I am not alone in my dislike of the mess of the March and April thaw. Mothers everywhere curse it, as they constantly mop up the mud brought in by little feet. Today, I was one of those mothers. Not only did the kids go through several pairs of footwear, they also changed clothes several times. Today, I also discovered, as luck would have it, that the ditch in front of our house turns into one giant pool during spring thaw. It was just like a magnet for the kids, no matter how many times I told them to stay out of it, every time I turned around they were back in it! What is it about mud puddles and kids? Despite the muddy water, it was a beautiful day today, and the kids were off on their bikes again. Katty even drew some pictures on the driveway with the sidewalk chalk.

The kids had another great day, and I am getting nervous. Very nervous! There was only some minor squabbling this evening, but nothing too major. They were even pretty good for Stu, while Arlene and I went for a walk. Poor Stu, I don't pay him enough. Come to think of it, I don't pay him at all, unless you count Pepsi and Easter candy as payment. Man, I hope he doesn't ask for a raise. Its supposed to be nice again tomorrow, so hopefully the kids will play outside again. If only I can get them to stay away from the puddle.

"It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade."~~Charles Dickens

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the good Lord made kids, he installed an insatiable facination with all things wet, muddy and dirty JUST to drive mothers in the world nuts. More so than they usually get when kids are around. lol

Anonymous said...

Before you know it, the ground will be dry and they'll be out PAINTING rocks!!!

Monica said...

Don't worry Dad, they've already been practicing on the driveway with the sidewalk chalk!