Sunday 11 March 2007

Patience Is A Virtue....

Hard to believe another week is over, and Dan has now been gone for 6 weeks. I think (I know) this is part of the reason the kids have been a bit cranky. Even though Daddy has been gone much of the last year, this is the longest period in a row they have gone without seeing him. The day started off with them asking when Daddy was going to call again. I wish I knew the answer to that one. And then the bickering began. Katty and Libby had a fight about the Guess Who game, and Katty had a massive tantrum. I have resolved not to argue with her, or try to force her to her room, but too ignore her instead. And it actually worked. She screamed and yelled for quite some time, but eventually gave it up. I did the same thing again later when she had a tantrum, and it only took her about 5 minutes to figure out it wasn't going to work. Of course, it didn't stop her from harassing her brother. They were at each other like rabid dogs, and I finally had to put them on separate chairs in the living room, and they had to stay there until they could be quiet for exactly one minute. Connor ended up being there for a good 20 minutes before he could finally do it. Surprisingly, it only took Katty about 15 minutes. The best part was, they didn't fight again for the rest of the day! I'm definitely doing that again. Not only that, but they actually got along well, and played outside for a few hours. Together. Can you believe it?? I hardly can. They were so good, we went to Blockbuster and rented some movies for tonight. The good will lasted the rest of the day, and they actually earned 30 extra minutes at bedtime. When the 30 minutes was up, off they went, put away all of their stuff, brushed their teeth, and gave me kisses and hugs goodnight, and that was that. Not one argument. I sure hope we have more bedtimes like that in the coming weeks.

All in all, today was a much better day then any last week. Arlene came over this afternoon, and started patching the holes in Libby's wall so we can paint this week. She is a woman on a mission. I wouldn't get half as much accomplished without her to keep me motivated. And then we went to see Music and Lyrics at the base theatre. Yes, I'd already seen it, but its got Hugh freaking Grant in it. Enough said. It was definitely a yummy way to start a new week!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."~~Franklin D. Roosevelt

No comments: