Wednesday 28 March 2007

Good Morning Sunshine...

I had the best wake-up call this morning from my hubby. Technically, I'd already been up for an hour already, but never mind. It was such an awesome way to start my day. Just hearing his voice makes me feel so much better. Although, today it was kind of hard to hear him. Oddly enough, satellite phones and running armoured vehicles aren't really conducive to intimate phone conversations. For part of the conversation, it sounded like he was standing inside a wind tunnel, and I was afraid we would be cut off. Luckily, that didn't happen, and we got to have a little bit of a chat. He is still outside the wire, somewhere in Kandahar province. No details given, none asked for. Except that he was no where near the ambush that took place on Monday, thank God. He's doing well, getting enough sleep, so he says, but then he would, so I wouldn't worry. He also said the heat has started, 30-35 degrees Celsius during the day. And the sun is brutal. Of course, all of the protective gear he has to wear is hot as well, but I'm okay with that. As usual, he wasn't sure how long they would be out, indefinitely I guess, or until they run out of coffee filters again. That actually happened last time they were out, his crew must have improvised, because Dan didn't even know they were out, until I asked him if he needed me to send some. Gotta love the wives net, one of the other wives had mentioned it to me a couple of weeks ago. Crisis averted though, his driver stocked up, so they are good to go. Wouldn't want them to run out of coffee when they are so far from Timmie's in KAF. That would make a tense situation worse. He was out of gum though. Apparently, gum is in short supply, so I sent off several packages this week in his latest parcel. It's always so bittersweet when our phone calls end. I love talking to him (shocking that), and hearing his voice, and knowing he is alright. But now I have to wait at least another 10 days to talk to him again. And that really, really, sucks.


"If the sun always shines, there's a desert below. It takes a little rain to make love grow."~~Unknown

No comments: