Saturday 3 March 2007

Hair, Hair, Hair....




We had a super busy day today. I love it when the weekends are busy, it's much better then setting home mopping. Libby went off to her sleepover, she was most excited. There were big brownie plans for the day. When we got to the Rec Plex, there were 17 over excited girls swarming around like bees looking for honey. Poor Connor looked rather petrified, there was way too much estrogen in the room for him. We beat a hasty retreat, lest he get stung, and headed for the mall. Thankfully there was power this time, though I was rather disappointed my buddies form last week weren't in their perch in front of Timmie's. No worries though, they had been replaced by two other equally as charming old men. They didn't call me a dynamo though, oh well. We spent some time in the book store, and did my errands from last week, before we had our lunch date at Burger King. For such a skinny little fellow, Connor sure loves to pack away the red meat. He was in hog heaven, or should I say cow heaven, as he had hamburgers again for supper when we went to Stu and Arlene's.

After we left the mall, we headed back to Petawawa to the hair salon. It was a big day. Katherine had finally decided she could not stand her hair any more and wanted it all cut off!! I had to restrain myself from doing a dance of joy. Katherine's hair has been a bone of contention for months. She wanted to have it long, but refused to have it combed. Her hair has been the cause of many morning arguments since school started. And also a lot of tears, and yelling. You'd think the child was being tortured in a Chinese prison. I am not exaggerating. She starts crying before I've even taken the comb out of the drawer. But she refused to allow me to get it cut. We had it trimmed last month, hoping that would help, to no avail. I'm not sure why she had the sudden change of heart, but I wasted no time in getting her in. Of course, I'm sure that's just how Connor wanted to spend his Saturday afternoon, but there was not one word of complaint. I think even he is sick and tired of her yelling about it. So off she marched to the chair. She'd obviously put a lot of thought into what she wanted, because as I told the hairdresser I thought maybe a bob, Katherine piped up and said, "Yes, and I'd like it shorter in the back and longer in the front." Well, alright then. So off came her long (I'd like to say silken, but no, matted and tangled, would be more appropriate), locks. As the bulk if it fell to the floor, she had this stricken, "What have I done?" look on her face, but it quickly went away. And when it was all said and done, she was thrilled. She absolutely loves it. She immediately showed it to her brother, who was, of course,totally not impressed. And then she had to show Stu and Arlene, and their boys, who all were much better at feigning excitement then Connor was. She has already combed it several times, and in typical Katty fashion, is talking about it insistently (not sure where she gets that habit from). We have looked at it in every different mirror in the house, and she has combed it several times. I even found her, on the couch, combing her dress up Dora doll's hair, and telling her how much easier her hair would be to take care of now. As I watched her play, it suddenly occured to me where she got the inspiration for her hair cut. Katherine's haircut looks suPISSciously like Dora's. In fact, I'd say their hair cuts are identical. Whatever the inspiration, I am looking forward to Monday morning, and fingers crossed, there will be no screaming and yelling. And I'm also hoping that, by then, I will no longer be singing, "Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, flow it, show it, long as God can grow it, My hair!" Freaking hair!


"Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like."~~Author Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds suPISSly like her Mum to me. Could that be?